How to be the model employee doesn’t requires an executive MBA or a degree from the biggest Ivy league institutions. All you need is a little more information on how to be the model employee.
Just as much is required of a good leader or employer in ensuring the productivity needed while dealing with human resources or employees. So also is the employee is expected to meet the employer mid-way.
Like they say, it takes two to tangle. Having the qualities or characteristics of a good employee not only easily sets you up for acceptability and quick promotion; it also help you develop and maintain positive relationships with everyone around you.
What makes for a good employee? Let’s do a quick survey
Integrity is everything expected of anyone yet it is the rarest quality to find in a person. It has to do with being honest and accountable for your words and actions. An employer would go all-out for that one employee who displays integrity in what he or she does. As he or she shows reliability and transparency; which is just what every company need in building its culture.
To be an employee with integrity:
- It is expected to be honest with your words.
- To accountable for your actions and responsibilities.
- You must be able to acknowledge and accept your mistakes with remorse.
- You must highly esteem company’s core values and business ethics
Integrity creates an environment of open communication. Employers and employees feel free to share their concerns, questions and feedback so everyone in the organization can benefit.
2. Strong communication skills
There’s no getting anywhere without communicating. Still not everyone possess the great ability to communicate especially at work. Often times, this requires strong interpersonal skills to ensure positive and effective interactions with co-workers, customers or managers.
A good communicator must be:
- Able to listen when others talk.
- Able to interpret non-verbal communication patterns.
- Open-minded to new concepts or ideas.
- Be able to respond appropriately.
Good communication isn’t just about speaking but allows for a high level of professionalism.
Dedication is one important point to note on “How to be the model employee?”. It takes a great employee to be dedicated. Especially towards achieving company’s goals and objectives. They might not have extensive experience in their field but they are always ready to go all out in gaining the required skill or experience.
Being dedicated is to:
- Have a strong sense of support and loyalty.
- To be purpose-driven in personal and career life.
- Be eager to learn.
- Be tenacious even when things get tough.
Employers love dedicated employees. Because they know they are very flexible to deal with due to their positive attitude toward their job.
A good team player is always a positive addition to the team. They are found to be reliable and responsible for achieving team objectives.
A Team player must have:
- Excellent communication skills.
- Patience towards team members.
- Tolerance for others.
- Dedication to achieving team success.
A good team player is very supportive and respectful to their co-workers. The ability to adapt is also of utmost importance when it comes to teamwork.
Every project or work won’t require a team, there are times you need to work independently. To earn a level of trust in getting the work done, you must be resourceful and focused.
To be independent, is to:
- Develop the ability to manage your time.
- Develop ability to meet deadlines.
- Be proficient in error free work.
- Be reliable
- Work without supervision.
Click here to read about Tips for effective classroom management